At Parfitt Cresswell our team of Employment Law experts are here to help advise you on your settlement agreement and you can rest assured that you will be well looked after by our team of experienced solicitors and legal experts.
To find out more about Settlement Agreements and what you can expect should you choose us as your solicitors, please see below.
Complimentary Initial Consultation
Contact us to arrange your complimentary initial consultation with one of our legal expertsGet in touch
What is a settlement agreement?
A settlement agreement is a document frequently used by employers when an employee is leaving their company. These are used even in amicable situations where there are no issues between the parties.
You are required to take this agreement to an independent solicitor (or appropriate adviser) who will advise you on the terms and effect of the agreement and sign the agreement to confirm they have advised you.
Once all parties have signed, a settlement agreement brings certainty, with employers protecting themselves against being taken to an employment tribunal whilst an employee can be assured of the sums they will be receiving and when.
What can I expect if I instruct Parfitt Cresswell to help?
When you instruct us you can expect us to:
- Fully explain the purpose and effect of your settlement agreement, making sure that the contents match any discussions you have had with your employer
- Run through each of the terms ensuring that you understand what they mean and what you are agreeing to when signing the agreement
- Ensure that you are notified of any issues with the agreement and given an opportunity to rectify these before signing it
Why come to us?
- Quick turnaround. We are used to dealing with urgent deadlines imposed by employers and will work within these. In most cases, we will be able to get an appointment booked within 24 hours of you contacting us if this is required
- No cost to you. If it is all agreeable, you will not usually be required to pay anything additional to the fees that are contributed by your employer. Typical fees contributed by an employer towards your legal fees are between £350 to £500 plus VAT
- We are experts on settlement agreements. We have many years’ experience of advising on settlement agreements, so are fully aware of the contents and the issues to look out for
- We are able to negotiate the terms of the settlement agreement if appropriate. We frequently negotiate higher settlements for our clients if the circumstances warrant this. We will advise you on whether this is likely to be appropriate in your circumstances and will advise you on the costs involved in doing so
- As experts we are fully aware of any changes to legislation that may affect your position. Sometimes employers do not deal with Settlement Agreements that frequently, so it is important to pick an adviser who will be aware of the latest developments in this area
- Convenient. We are able to advise face to face, via video call (Zoom) or telephone call as appropriate in the circumstances. You can usually wrap the whole thing up quickly and smoothly without even having to leave your house/office
- Recommended. Many of our referrals for settlement agreements come through word of mouth with previous clients referring us to their colleagues, friends and family
So, if you need urgent help with an agreement and are looking for friendly, local employment law advice, give us a call 0800 999 4437.
Parfitt Cresswell offer a same-day response and with our free, initial, over-the-phone advice, you can talk to us in complete confidence and find out what your options are.
To arrange your complimentary initial consultation with one of our Employment Law experts simply call 0800 999 4437 or click on the 'Get in touch' button above.